Shibuya grants “Startup Visa” to foreign entrepreneurs.
1 Year Startup Visa is available now in TOKYO!
Shibuya, one of the 23 wards in Tokyo, is known as the center for culture and the most startup-concentrated area in Japan. We now would like to welcome startups from oversea to make us more diverse. So, this is why we decided to provide a one-year startup visa to entrepreneurs from all over the world.
The startup visa system was designed by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry Japan which allows entrepreneurs from oversea to stay six months to establish a company in Japan (can extend another six months.) Having a year to prepare for establishing a company in Japan, you are also able to research the market and find potential business partners to successfully launch your business and obtain a Business Management visa.
There are several local governments designated to provide startup visas such as Fukuoka city, Aichi Prefecture, and others but Shibuya is the first local government to provide a one-year startup visa in Tokyo where nearly 10 million people exist.
We look forward to welcoming you to Shibuya, the most exciting place to do business.
Shibuya City will issue a startup visa for specific fields of industry. Here are the fields;
- Health, Medical, Welfare
- Information Technologies
The following documents are required as attachments.
- Application for confirmation of Business Activities（WORD 16KB）
- Business Startup Activities Confirmation Application（WORD 21KB）
- Schedule of business activity（WORD 15KB）
- Resume of the applicants（WORD 22KB）
- Pledge（WORD 17KB）
- A document that guarantees your place of residence for six months after arriving in Japan (copy of the rental contract, or application for rental contract, etc.)
- A document that shows your bank balance
- A document that verifies the content of required documents such as certification from university, proof of the experience of previous companies you work, etc.,
- Copy of your passport
- Pitch Deck
Applications should be submitted to << firstname.lastname@example.org >>
Once you obtain a startup visa from us, you must have a monthly interview with us. If we observe that you are not conducting any activities related to your business, or you do not have an interview with us, we need to invalidate your visa.
Renewal to Business Management Visa（経営管理ビザへの更新について）
After the Startup visa expires, this visa must be renewed to Business Management visa. To getBusiness Management visa, foreign entrepreneurs are required to under the following.
- Rent a dedicated office space（physical, co-working space not allowed）
- Hire at least two full-time employees or have capital exceeding five million yen
Shibuya City has founded the Startup Welcome Service（external links）, which assists foreign entrepreneurs so that you may renew your residential status after the period of the startup visa.
Contact us at our Startup Welcome Service（お問い合わせ）
Please visit Startup Welcome Service for questions not only about visas but incorporation procedures and finding office space or housing location.
Once you land in Japan, you need a lot of support such as opening a bank account, enrolling in social insurance, paying taxes, and going through required administrative procedures. Shibuya City Office with Startup Welcome Service is here for your smooth landing.